Monday, April 16, 2012

The Joy of an E-Book Shelf

Now that about 50% of my reading is on an e-book reader, I find myself reading several books at the same time because it's so easy to flip from one to the next.  At the moment, succumbing to  mass market enticements, I've got both "The Hunger Games" and "Fifty Shades of Grey" open as well as a second BarbaraVine book, "The Minotaur" since I enjoyed her "Fatal Inversion" so much.  More serious stuff awaits and I see their covers every time I open my IPAD, the Steve Jobs biography and what will surely be an incredible read, "Escape from Camp 14", the true story of a North Korean's escape from that country's  horrid work camp system.

  At the same time, the "hand-held" books are poked into at the same time, the "Fruitless Fall" book on the demise of the honeybee and a different kind of story by Peter Fleming [yes, Ian's brother] on his adventure on the Brazilian Amazon ["Brazilian Adventure"] as he went, on a lark, to search for the missing Percy Fawcett, the British adventurer who spent years searching for The Lost City of Z [wonderful book by David Grann] and on his last trip was never seen again.  This is in conjunction with my interest in the Amazon after our touristy foray into that region this year.  I also finished Candice Miller's excellent book on Theodore Roosevelt's journey down the Amazon after he lost his election to Wilson [this earlier than the Fawcett mystery] in "The River of Doubt" - Theodore Roosevelt's Darkest Journey".  Then of course I had to read Theodore Rex about his presidency. I mean one thing leads into another and somehow you never catch up!...

No comments:

Post a Comment